Fear of speaking in public is the most common form of all phobias. It is type of performance anxiety in which people are concerned about how the audience is going to react to their speech, maybe they even have a panic attack while speaking. Thus to protect themselves they avoid public speaking and thus they get tricked into waking the fear of public speaking more chronic and disruptive.
Each of us must comfort our own fear, must come face to face with them .As how we handle our fear determines the path where we travel the rest of our lives.
It is well said by Dale Carneigie –
“INACTION BREEDS DOUBT AND FEAR .ACTION BREEDS CONFIDENCE AND COURAGE .IF YOU WANT TO CONQUER FEAR DO NOT SIT HOME AND THINK ABOUT IT .GO OUT GET BUSY.”
TRY OUT THIS EXERCISE
Think what you do on the stage while speaking in front of the audience and the note down your feelings, your actions on a piece of paper and then come back here.
WHATS ON YOUR LIST?
I am sure you would have the following actions:
- Just read out things.
For example if you have to present a presentation instead of expressing it properly you just READ it out.
- Tell myself it will be over soon.
If you are suffering from fear of speaking then only thing running through your mind would be that when your time of speaking will get over and thus you miss the real content.
- Keep swallowing & clench fists beneath
DON’T BE THE UN-SPEAKER
Fearful speakers create trouble for themselves when don’t embrace the role of speaker .They read, they done, they overlook the audience and focus mainly on resisting that fear.
When you talk fast it interferes with your breathing.
Instead of breathing comfortably, you breathe in a short, shallow manner or you might ever hold your breath.
All this hurrying reduces the chances that your audience can enjoy your speech .It creates a barrier between you and them & the Less of a connection you have with them ,the more unfriendly they will seem to you .
Ignoring the audience
For example, lots of fearful speakers avoid eye contact with the audience .When you have no audience contact, you focus on your own thoughts .Thus you are not able to know the reaction of the people that whether they are getting bored or whether they want to ask some questions and thus it weakens the interaction between the speaker & listener.
STEPS TO OVERCOME FEAR OF PUBLIC SPEAKING
- Get a deep knowledge about the topic you have to speak.
- Before facing audience prepare your mind and speak in front of the mirror to see your actions and expressions. The golden key is – Practice and practice .
- Do some breathing. Meditation helps in increasing your concentration and brings stability to your mind.
- Don’t fear a moment of silence.
- Face the audience and interact with them as it will help to increase your confidence level, think as if you are talking in front of your family member.
- And the most important thing visualize your success. Imagine that your presentation will go well as it will increase positivity and relieve some anxiety.